No Bake Granola Bars.
These are a staple when it comes to both kids lunches and for traveling with while on vacation. In a pinch, I've made these while in a vacation rental in a frying pan with a clean grocery bag as my liner.
- 2 ½ cups (3oz/85g) gluten-free oats (quick cooking or rolled oats)
- ¼ cup (2oz/ 57g) butter (or ⅛ cup of vegetable/salad oil)
- ¼ cup (2 ½oz/71g) honey ( agave, rice or maple syrup)
- ½ cup (3oz /85g) brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Frankie's All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
This is the basic start to any granola recipe. From here you can add what you like to make it yours:
Raisin, nut and coconut:
- ¼ cup (3/4oz/21g) shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup (1½oz/43g) raisins, chopped
- ⅓ cup (1½oz/43g) almonds, toasted and chopped
No-Bake Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola bars:
- ⅓ cup (21/2oz/71g) peanut butter
- ⅓ cup (1½oz/43g) chopped peanuts
- 6 tablespoons Jam (strawberry, grape, raspberry)
No-Bake Double Chocolate Granola bars:
- 1/4 cup (1oz/28g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup (6oz/170g) mini semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients
- In a medium sauce pan, add butter or oil, honey and brown sugar. Heat on medium. Once the mixture begins to boil. Whisk in the flour and let boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla, and salt.
- At this point if your recipe calls for additional wet products/liquids (ie: peanut butter or jelly) add this in and whisk until smooth. You may need to heat slightly again to ensure everything is smooth, don't over heat as things will begin to burn.
- In a separate bowl mix together remaining ingredients and pour hot sauce from stove over oat mixture. Stir using a rubber spatula and mix the ingredients together until the oats are completely coated.
- Press very firmly into a small tray lined with parchment. (9″x 9” or smaller). If you like your bars thicker, you can use a smaller pan. If you do not press firmly enough, the bars will fall apart when you eat them. Place them in the fridge for 2-3 hours then cut to size.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or on the counter.
Have fun with your ingredients. You can be creative and mix things up. Here are a few more ideas for granola bars:
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds with ½ cup raisins.
- 1 cup dried fruit chopped up